Pottery is one of the ancient crafts which the civilians of Manipur are mastered at. It is also an art form inherited over generations as their legacy. This black pottery is also known as ‘longpi pottery’ because these are made from weather rock and serpentitite which are found bountiful on the coasts of river longpi. These rocks are crushed and made as clay. Then it is moulded into desired shapes without using any pottery wheel. They are designed to give an aesthetic and classy look with value-added medicinal values.
- Buy eco-friendly black pottery products as they could naturally enhance our body metabolism.
- Using black pottery products for cooking can boost one’s immune system as it consists of all essential vitamins.
- They can sustain heat and regulate it uniformly while cooking and it can keep the moisture in the food prepared intact and subsides the pH levels.
- The serpentite present makes the pot sturdy and durable. If seasoned technically, it uplifts the longevity of the product.
- All the cookery items made in black pottery can be used in ovens, refrigerators, direct heat, etc.
- Cooking in these could reduce the oil and fat content in the food prepared.
- According to statistics, it is proven that consuming food made from black pottery brings down symptoms of morning sickness in pregnant women drastically.
- As these crafts are only being practiced in rural villages, buying these commodities would reflect in employments and enriches their revenue rates.
- These products are bio-degradable, environment friendly, and doesn’t possess any harmful parameters or side effects.